Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The art in subtlety

So I'm taking a Contemporary French film class here in Paris and it's opened a whole new world of expression to me. Thankfully I don't receive any work for this class, but regardless, the films that we watch are incredibly difficult for me. Aside from the language barrier, stylistically things are different. American Cinema is so incredibly overt. It's funny, because Americans feel like they have to articulate everything on their mind. They feel the need to explain everything, or to be dramatic about it. I feel like cynicism concerning film in the States concerns cheesy plot lines, tacky dialogue, and predictable endings ( I know I'm stating over-generalizations). A good film consists of good action, dramatic music, understandable chemistry, memorable events, and ridiculously looking people. Things are usually literal...and sometimes the easiest way to make something seem profound is just to tack on a shallow out-of-place cliff hanger. cliché is nearly unavoidable.

French film is much more reflective...poetic...metaphorical...subtle. I admit, some of the sequences in a number of films I've seen are boring. But I've realized a lot of it is because A) I don't understand the language and it's nuances B) I don't get cultural norms....meaning I can't read the body language, the energy in situations, and chemistry between characters. There's much more mystery and even awkward tension and it's OK to leave it that way. To try to solve everything or to make everything comfortable just takes away from artistry in some ways. I've found some scenes and sequences that seem so out of place sometimes..it's confusing. Music and costumes are much less busy. and like the speechless exchanges people give one another.

My French mom told me how there are 2 degrees of conversation when it comes to French. 1st degree is when everything is literal. 2nd degree is more when something is implied. The best example is when my brother and I were trying new French foods that my host mom served. When she asked us how the cheese was, we both said "it's interesting". If that was taken in 1st degree, it would probably have had a good like meaning, "I'm curious about this cheese is worth another taste". But French mom could read our tone and knew it rather implied in 2nd degree that "We're not too fond of the cheese, but to be polite, we're not going to out right say "it's nasty" or "i don't like it". My host mom discussed with me how French people are similar to Chinese people with the idea of "saving face". My host mom mentioned how I'm a bit more intuitive to things she implies and intends because of my background, which I was, unknowingly. It's hilarious I think because I think that's what caused the tension between us for a long time, bc my intuitive side was able to tell she didn't fully trust me...and she would state things about her character indirectly in the way she shared bout her experiences and relationships w/ others. Many of my friends asked how she was mean to me, and I could only reply with the fact that she's not really "mean" but there were things situations that would be extremely awkward because something wasn't right (btw, things are much better now).

Right now, the stress of trying to figure out French people, especially on screen is frustrating mean, because I need to write a 10 pg paper on in it French. But otherwise I think i love the challenge because it gives me a whole other level art and acting i wanna dive into and being a "people-reader" (I admit to this) I love exploring more facets of human psychie and behavior.

(fyi: I love both American and French film for very different reasons)

No comments:

Post a Comment